protein rich foods

Having proper knowledge about protein-rich foods can be beneficial, irrespective of whether you are trying to lose weight, maintain muscle mass or gaining lean weight.

Before jumping on the 10 best protein-rich foods, know what protein is.

What is protein?

Proteins are the building blocks of body tissue and can also serve as a fuel source. It is an essential nutrient for the human body. Proteins are polymer chains made of amino acids linked together by peptide bonds. During digestion, proteins are broken down in the stomach by hydrochloric acid and protease actions so that your body can absorb the essential amino acids that cannot be biosynthesized by the body.

10 protein-rich foods that you should be incorporating in your diet

1. Eggs

protein rich foods

Whole eggs have high-quality protein. They do not contain either of the sugar or carbs. Moreover, they are cheap.

The egg whites contain vitamins such as B2, B6, B12, D, and other minerals such as zinc, iron, and copper.

Protein Content: 36% of the calories come from protein. Whole eggs contain 6.3g of protein, 0.4g of carbs, and 4.8g of fats.

2. Chicken Breast

chicken breast nutrition

Chicken Breasts are easy to cook and are cheap. It contains only protein if you eat it without the skin.

It is a good source of protein and is low in fat and sodium. They do not contain carbohydrates.

Protein Content: 79% of the calories are made of protein. 120g of chicken breast contains 37g of protein, 0g of carbs and 4.3g of fats.

3. Tofu

protein rich foods

Tofu is a good source of protein and contains all the 9 essential amino acids. It contains iron, calcium, manganese, selenium, phosphorous, magnesium, copper, zinc, and vitamin B1.

It is also believed that tofu helps lower bad cholesterol levels.

Protein Content: 43% of the calories come from protein. A block of tofu contains 9.1g of protein, 1.1g of carbs and 4.8g of fats.

4. Fish (Salmon)

protein rich foods

Apart from protein, fish like salmons are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. Research[1] has shown that salmon contains small bioactive protein molecules that may provide support for joint cartilage, insulin effectiveness, and control of inflammation in the digestive tract.

Protein Content: 44% of the calories come from protein. 227g of salmon contains 50g of protein, 0g of carbs, and 28g of fats.

5. Yogurt

yogurt nutrition

It contains a good source of proteins out of which 80% of the protein is casein protein and the remaining 20% is whey protein.

Casein proteins are slow digesting proteins and can be taken when you are about to sleep so that your body gets the constant supply of protein.

Make sure to get the low-fat yogurt as it contains fewer calories than the full-fat yogurt.

Protein Content: 33% of the calories come from protein. A container (170g) of yogurt contains 8.9g of protein, 12g of carbs, and 2.6g of fats.

6. Milk

milk nutrition

Similar to yogurt, milk has 80% of its protein sources as casein protein and the remaining as whey protein.

It contains calcium, riboflavin, phosphorous, and vitamin B12.

Protein Content: 27% of the calories come from protein. 1 glass (245g) of milk contains 8.5g of protein, 12g of carbs, and 4.7g of fats.

7. Oats

oats nutrition

Oats are good sources of proteins and carbohydrates. They contain slow digesting carbs which do not spike the insulin level.

It also contains zinc, selenium, manganese, magnesium, iron, vitamin B1, copper, and phosphorous.

Protein Content: 14% of the calories come from protein. 1 cup (82g) of oats contain 10.6g of protein, 54g of carbs, and 5.2g of fats.

8. Pumpkin Seeds

protein rich foods

Apart from being a good source of protein, pumpkin seeds are a good source of healthy oils, magnesium, calcium, and potassium.

It improves heart health, liver health, bone health and also supports weight loss and digestion.

Protein Content: 16% of the calories come from protein. 1 cup (64g) of pumpkin seeds contain12g of protein, 34g of carbs, and 12g of fats.

9. Turkey Breast

turkey nutrition

Like chicken breasts, turkey breasts are high in protein. But do remember that it can increase your sodium level depending on the turkey that you choose.

A slice of turkey contains phosphorous, vitamin B12, niacin, vitamin B6, and selenium.

Protein Content: 87% of the calories come from protein. 3 oz. of turkey breast contains 26g of protein, 0g of carbs, and 1.8g of fats.

10. Peanuts

peanuts nutrition

Apart from being a portable source of protein, peanuts are high in fats.

It contains biotin, magnesium, phosphorous, copper, thiamine, niacin, vitamin E, folate, and magnesium.

As it contains good fat content, it goes well with the keto-diet. Make sure you limit the consumption.

Protein Content: 15% of the calories come from protein. 100g of peanuts contains 24g of protein, 21g of carbs, and 50g of fats.

References

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here